Location: Brooklyn, NY
Newlab advances technologies that support the health of our planet.
We act as a facilitator, connector, and translator for our community of experts and innovators, helping to build, test, and scale world-changing ideas through investment, venture building, and structured collaboration with industry and government partners.
Recently named Fast Company’s Design Company of the Year, Newlab opened in the Brooklyn Navy Yard in 2016, transforming what was once a naval machine shop into an 84,000 square foot center for applied innovation. Today, Newlab is home to over 200 companies, more than 900 entrepreneurs, and domain experts – all working together to apply transformative technologies to the world’s most pressing challenges. To date, Newlab has helped its member companies raise over $450M in capital, with over $400M of successful exits, and a collective valuation of over $2.8B. This fall, Newlab will open its second flagship location as part of Ford’s $1B mobility innovation district in the Corktown neighborhood of Detroit.
Newlab’s Partnerships team is seeking an intern who will lead research efforts to help build an informed pipeline of new leads for our Innovation Studios. This internship is a great opportunity to help Newlab develop a point of view about how we can best support our corporate, government, and startup partners exploring novel technologies being applied to mobility, energy, and planetary health.
This position will report to the Senior Manager of Partnerships and focus on research and strategy, department operations, and external asset creation. The ideal candidate is not shy about working with members of the leadership team and will play a critical role in positioning Newlab to work with the most forward-thinking corporations and government entities.
Research and Strategy Development
- Work with the Partnerships team to research and qualify potential Innovation Studio partners
- Conduct market research and technology trend analyses to identify societal shifts, early-stage companies and solutions that will determine a Studio’s “field of play”
- Synthesize research to identify high-potential innovation use cases against Newlab’s themes (Mobility, Energy and Planetary Health)
- Support the development of pilot summaries that can be used for external reporting and stakeholder communications
- Duration: 1-2 week turnaround for research documents
- Output: research documents (4-7 pages) that will be leveraged by several teams at Newlab to understand new markets
- Conduct industry benchmarking and support a pricing analysis project
- CRM organization
- Duration: ongoing
- Output: pricing recommendation document with justifications for this approach (cross-functional project with support from Partnerships and Strategic Finance)
- Support the development of external facing materials (decks, case studies, internal reference materials)
- Create concept decks for new Innovation Studios
- Duration: 1-2 week turnaround for new decks, case studies will be an ongoing project
SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
- Entering or currently in an MBA program
- 2+ years of work experience; experience in the mobility and/or energy industries a plus
- Experience conducting, analyzing, and synthesizing market research
- Excitement around navigating a fast growing, rapidly changing, and sometimes ambiguous environment
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills with high attention to detail
- Start-up, venture capital, or related experience is a plus
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- $1,200 per week for ~12 weeks
- Expected duration 3 months; exact timing/duration flexible
- Hybrid work flexibility; workspace at Newlab
- Preference for New York City-based candidates