Program Director – Uruguay
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay
Newlab advances technologies that support the health of our planet.
We act as a facilitator, connector, and translator for our community of experts and innovators, helping to build, test, and scale world-changing ideas through investment, venture building, and structured collaboration with industry and government partners.
Recently named Fast Company’s Design Company of the Year, Newlab opened in the Brooklyn Navy Yard in 2016, transforming what was once a naval machine shop into an 84,000 square foot center for applied innovation. Today, Newlab is home to over 200 companies, more than 900 entrepreneurs, and domain experts – all working together to apply transformative technologies to the world’s most pressing challenges. To date, Newlab has helped its member companies raise over $450M in capital, with over $400M of successful exits, and a collective valuation of over $2.8B. This fall, Newlab will open its second flagship location as part of Ford’s $1B mobility innovation district in the Corktown neighborhood of Detroit.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Newlab is seeking a Program Director to join its Uruguay based Product and Programs team to oversee the launch, management and growth of Innovation Studios in Uruguay and the LATAM region. This position will report to a VP of Product and Programs in Uruguay and will execute the day-to-day operations of Newlab Studios in LATAM.
The Director will work with the VP and Newlab leadership to advance partnerships, strategy and operations of Newlab programming in LATAM. Once launched, the Director will build a team and oversee the research, startup outreach and diligence, pilots, and the facilitation of outcomes including partnerships and deployment for a portfolio of LATAM Studios in line with Newlab’s methodology and framework. Prior experience in technology ecosystem development and programmatic roles working at the intersection of entrepreneurs and enterprises, investors, and public stakeholders is critical.
- Program Strategy & Execution: The Program Director will manage the operations of a portfolio of LATAM based Studios so that these initiatives can be effectively managed and executed at scale. Key activities include: establishing KPIs and reporting structures with external stakeholders, developing and tracking program timelines and phases (from problem definition through product development and piloting), establishing milestones and tracking budgets, recruiting startups through Newlab’s network and global open calls, recruiting and working with external parties including advisors, experts and new program partners, organizing and hosting events and ensuring the alignment of all collaborators across the Studio.
- People Management: Over time the Program Director will build a Uruguay-based team to manage the initiatives under their purview. This includes managing Program Managers, freelancers and part-time analysts who support the operations and delivery of the Studios and working closely with the Product Design team. The Program Director will also manage external contributors, which may include identifying and recruiting entrepreneurs, academics, workshop facilitators, and advisors. They will also be responsible for client management, leading check-in meetings, preparing milestone presentations and reports.
- Ecosystem Engagement: At Newlab Program Directors have a grasp of our member community and broader network and actively assess how the programs under their purview can add value and deliver impact to this ecosystem. They attend industry events, speak at relevant convenings and stay up to date on relevant trends in frontier technology, startup formation and growth, VC, product design, corporate and government innovation. The Program Director will be plugged into these ecosystems in LATAM and globally.
- Program & Product Materials: Program Directors create materials that reflect the Newlab brand and mission including decks, written proposals, website assets, and blog posts. They support the Chief Product Officer and VP of Product and Programs in preparing and delivering client presentations and funding applications. Additionally, they proactively seek out RFPs and partnership opportunities to complement and grow the roster of new and existing programs at Newlab and help to evaluate when and how best to pursue these opportunities working collaboratively across the organization. They often engage with prospective partners, write proposals, and help win new business.
- 7+ years full-time professional experience or the equivalent with 2+ years of direct management experience
- Prior experience working on innovation, incubator, accelerator, or product design programs
- Exposure to working with government, corporate businesses and entrepreneurs to develop multi-stakeholder programs
- Proven ability to develop new partnerships and experience in client engagement and management of external stakeholders
- An established network and familiarity with LATAM is a plus
- Some public speaking experience and demonstrated ability to serve as a public-facing ambassador for an organization
- Track record for securing program funding, either corporate sponsorship or government RFPs
- Full-spectrum project management experience with demonstrated ability to build strategies that take into account the demands of multiple stakeholders to keep projects on time, on budget and ensure the quality of all deliverables
- Experience developing and tracking both quantitative and qualitative program metrics
- Familiarity with Google’s business tools (Drive, Docs, Slides, Sheets, etc.)
- Proficiency with Excel and project management and CRM tools such as Monday, Hubspot and Airtable
Skills & Attributes
- Fluent in Spanish, proficiency in English particularly with written communications
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, mature self-starter with professional demeanor and strong interpersonal skills
- Creative, strategic thinker with a bias for action and a willingness to contribute to ensure the job gets done
- Comfortable conversing with entrepreneurs, technologists, scientists, government officials, policy-makers, corporate partners, philanthropic donors and an understanding how to adapt tone and messaging for each audience
- Excited by setting ambitious goals, building teams, bringing projects through to completion and being part of a fast-moving, lean organization
- Adept at working both collaboratively and independently and managing cross-functional teams (across and up)
- Passionate about frontier technologies, innovation, and startups
- Willingness to travel internationally
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Equity in Newlab
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Professional development stipend