Senior Events Manager
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States
Newlab mobilizes people, capital, and collective intelligence to address systemic challenges in energy, mobility, and materials.
We act as a facilitator, connector, and translator for our community of experts and innovators, helping to build, test, and scale world-changing ideas through investment, venture building, and structured collaboration with industry and government partners.
Newlab opened in the Brooklyn Navy Yard in 2016, transforming what was once a naval machine shop into an 84,000 square foot center of invention. Today, we are home to more than 800 entrepreneurs, engineers, and inventors from over 200 startups in a vast array of fields, from robotics, materials science, computer vision, and AI to quantum, additive manufacturing, blockchain, and connected systems.
Newlab is seeking a dedicated Senior Events Manager for Newlab’s second flagship location in Detroit’s Book Depository Building, opening this winter as a part of Ford’s $1B mobility innovation district, Michigan Central.
In this role, the Senior Events Manager will lead the design, curation, and execution of events and experiences for Newlab at Michigan Central, including event partnerships, venue rentals, Annual Summits and Open House events, and more. The brief is simple—to enhance the connection between our brand and the Newlab at Michigan Central and Detroit communities through dynamic events and experiences.
This role will be in-person, based in Detroit, reporting to the Director of Brand & Experience on the Brand team.
- Oversee and lead day-to-day event project management and execution
- Serve as a trusted collaborator across the Newlab team, third-party vendors, clients, and other key stakeholders through effective communication and partnership with the purpose of delivering high-quality engaging events
- Manage and operate multiple event spaces, including overseeing Newlab at Michigan Central’s events calendar, contracting event staff (catering, security, AV vendors, etc.) as needed, and maintaining event furniture and equipment (A/V, catering, etc.) inventory
- Conduct preliminary calls and site visits for venue rental and event partnership inquiries and negotiate event proposals and contracts
- Support the development of Newlab programmed events and make production and logistical recommendations based on needs and objectives
- Capture event content for social media for hosted events
- A community-builder with a deep understanding of how experiences can foster strong and meaningful connections
- A self-starter, excellent communicator, and strong collaborator with exceptional project management skills
- Detail-obsessed—a great event is all in the details
- Deeply intrigued and inspired by the intersection of design/art and tech/science
- Kind, curious, flexible, meticulous, humble, hopeful
- Immersed in Detroit events space with strong connections
- Must be available some nights and weekends as needed
- Experience with Google Suite is a must
- Experience with Tripleseat, Zoom Webinar, Adobe Design Suite, and Mailchimp is a plus.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Salary range: $90k-110k
- Newlab equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Professional development stipend
- Unique opportunity to meet amazing entrepreneurs working on some of the world’s greatest challenges
We at Newlab are committed to providing equal opportunity and embracing diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer that strives to go beyond the bare minimum of buzz words to actually make decisions based on individual qualifications, job requirements and business needs, while championing diversity and inclusivity. This begins with hiring. We’re committed to expanding our reach to as diverse a candidate pool as possible. Part of holding ourselves accountable is collecting information to measure those efforts. We ask that you please support us in this regard by completing our EEOC survey. There is no obligation to complete this survey, but doing so would help us uphold our values, and would be greatly appreciated. All of the responses are anonymized; the only information we receive is a summary of candidate responses.