Senior Manager/Director of Investor Relations
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Newlab lives at the intersection of hope and action. Our focus is on scaling new ideas and transformative technologies to solve the world’s greatest challenges. We support our community of entrepreneurs, engineers, scientists, and inventors through investment, venture building and innovation studios, which drive structured collaboration and pilot activity with industry and government partners.
The Newlab syndicate invests in promising, high-potential startups applying advanced technologies to real problems. We are highly flexible – investing in pre-seed and late stage deals alike and co-invest along top VCs including YC, Sequoia, and Union Square Ventures. The syndicate network is comprised of a growing network of leading investors with corporate, investment, government and academic backgrounds.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Newlab is seeking a full-time Director to support our growing syndicate network and investment goals. This is an opportunity to be an integral part of building Newlab’s investment strategy by leading a new and critical component of our community – syndicate network members. These are typically high net worth individuals, ultra-high net worths and family offices who are excited by and eager to invest in deep technology advancing the human condition. This position will report to the Chief Investment Officer and offers a dynamic mix of exposure to early stage investing and strategic community building.
Suitable candidates for this position will be detail-oriented, excellent multitaskers, service-oriented, and adept at fostering strategic relationships. Ideal candidates will have experience working with dynamic stakeholders including high net worth individuals and family offices and exposure to early stage venture capital investing.
- Source and engage new investors that fit our ideal syndicate network base
- Develop and strengthen relationships with new and existing syndicate members
- Engage with the investment team and all necessary stakeholders and support in the drafting of deal marketing materials, creating data rooms, answering due diligence requests, etc
- Act as the day to day point of contact for new and current syndicate members including education, new deal opportunities, due diligence requests and investor queries, reporting, and meetings / events
- Take ownership of fundraising targets and ensure numbers are met. Look for strategic opportunities to streamline processes and procedures providing for more efficient and timely execution of deals
- Manage day to day operations of the syndicate network and deal execution including updating our CRM (Hubspot), registering an facilitating investment interests, managing the AngelList account and acting as the point of contact for related service providers
- Act as an effective and value add conduit between investment teams and syndicate members
- Provide CIO and leadership team with regular data, updates, and guidance on syndicate member engagement, new member onboarding, and strategic projects
- Maintain a solid understanding of the technology and venture capital environment and associated trends
- Support efforts to develop partnerships that expand deal flow and/or our investor network
- 3-6 years of relevant work experience in a service or support oriented customer-facing role (investment banking, private wealth, multi-family office, or investor relations)
- Demonstrated knowledge of venture capital/investing with SPVs as a bonus
- Proven ability to engage with a wide array of people over several types of communication (email, phone, text, chat) with high attention to detail
- High emotional intelligence and empathy for entrepreneurs and investors, demonstrated by a drive to solve problems and answer questions by connecting the right people or sharing the right information
- Solid judgement, ability to anticipate needs and interpret and uncover challenges and professionally identify information and solutions
- Expertise in HubSpot’s CRM (or equivalent) and marketing tools and experience using software to track multiple projects and progress is a plus
- Familiarity with Google’s business tools (Drive, Docs, Slides, Sheets, etc.) and proficiency with Excel, familiarity with AngelList is a plus
- Experience building, evaluating and improving the processes used by customer-facing sales and/or fundraising professionals is a plus
- Bonus: experience with managing private investors (such as high net worth individuals and ultra high net worth Individuals) and Family Offices both US-based and international
Skills & Attributes
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, hands-on, and excellent communication skills around both the details and big picture
- Comfortable engaging with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders
- Strategic relationship building and management
- Analytical mindset, with a penchant for measuring and assessing results
- Strong bias for action and desire to take ownership of work while being team-oriented
- Low ego and high integrity
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Newlab equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Professional development stipend
This role is based at Newlab’s HQ in the Brooklyn Navy Yard with flexibility to allow for remote work.