Spiro Devices Chief Executive Officer
Location: Brooklyn, NY
In early 2020, Spiro Devices, LLC, formed by Newlab, 10X Beta, and Boyce Technologies, brought a ventilator alternative through FDA Emergency Use Authorization in under 30 days to help NYC combat its ventilator shortage due to COVID-19. We delivered 3,000 ventilators to NYC’s healthcare system at 1/10 of the cost of a standard ICU ventilator. These units are currently in stockpile.
We are now developing the next version of the Spiro Wave, which will be a streamlined, light-weight, high-fidelity emergency ventilation device that automates in field resuscitation. We intend to engineer a further dramatic cost reduction based on completed R&D and take the device through the full FDA approval process.
Spiro’s commercial opportunities include: emergency medical services, in-home intubation, emerging markets respiratory and anesthesia care. Spiro’s FDA approval would represent a massive win for ventilation alternative accessibility and availability across the globe.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Along with 10X Beta and Spiro’s Clinical Advisors, Newlab Venture Studio conducted diligence and has identified opportunities to position the next generation Spiro Wave as a functional, cost competitive, and unique offering in the portable ventilator market. We are now looking for a leader to launch the next generation Spiro Wave, with the support of our collective team and resources.
This leader will be charged with raising an initial round of financing to bring the device through the necessary regulatory processes and reach commercialization. The longevity of this role is dependent on securing this first round of capital.
- Vision/Strategy: with support from our team, develop and de-risk the business case for the new venture; develop a growth strategy.
- Fundraising: be the principal spokesperson and representative of the organization; pursue funding based on progress, runway and a clear budget; establish and maintain relationships with investors; manage the fundraising process.
- Regulatory: guide the team through the FDA approval process and decide whether Spiro should prefer other regulatory marks across the globe.
- Product: maintain a constant awareness of both the external and internal competitive landscape, opportunities for expansion, customer base, markets, new industry developments, and standards.
- Team: make key early hires to build a team that aligns with the company’s vision and mission.
- Set Objectives/Milestones: set key performance metrics for the short- and long-term to ensure progress; set and meet deadlines and coordinate across our team.
- Exit: look for potential acquisitions or the sale of the company under circumstances that will enhance shareholder value.
- 10+ years experience leading a medical devices company.
- Prior experience as a founder, CEO, or high-level management.
- Prior experience leading a company through an FDA approval process.
- Deep experience in developing profitable strategies and implementing vision.
- Experienced in raising funds from top investors.
- Proven ability to build consensus and relationships among executives, partners, and employees. Ability to inspire confidence and create trust.
- Experience managing multiple groups of stakeholders while owning the vision for a company. Bias toward making data-informed decisions.
- Proven ability to lead a new concept through to product-market fit.
- Proven ability to recruit new team members, at all levels, and advisors.
- Ability to work under pressure and delegate successfully.
ABOUT THE PARTNERS
Newlab Venture Studio
Newlab supports entrepreneurs who apply transformative technologies to things that matter. Based in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, Newlab provides the tools and community that unite and support 900+ innovative entrepreneurs, designers, and engineers representing over 160 companies in a variety of fields—including robotics, A.I., urban technology, and energy—and fosters collaboration and advancement across disciplines.
Through its Venture Studio, Newlab builds new businesses that solve the world’s most complex challenges. We support talented founders with our interdisciplinary team, partners, global network and investment to reduce risk and increase velocity toward product-market fit. We believe proprietary science, technology and/or engineering will transform what matters most—health, environment, media, cities, and infrastructure.
10XBeta, is a New York-based product development firm and founding member of Newlab, specializing in rapid medical device commercialization efforts. 10XBeta’s CEO and MIT alumni, Marcel Botha, spearheaded a team of engineers and designers to iterate on MIT’s open-source E-Vent concept, and is leading the ongoing product development work to improve the device.
Dr. Albert Kwon is a Harvard & Stanford trained anesthesiologist and pain medicine specialist.
Dr. Alex Slocum Jr. is an MIT-educated mechanical engineer-turned-surgeon who trained at Harvard and MCW.