The Curator, Brooklyn
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Newlab advances technologies that support the health of our planet.
We act as facilitator, connector, and translator for our community of experts and innovators, helping to build, test, and scale world-changing ideas through investment, venture building, and structured collaboration with industry and government partners.
Recently named Fast Company’s Design Company of the Year, Newlab opened in the Brooklyn Navy Yard in 2016, transforming what was once a naval machine shop into an 84,000 square foot center for applied innovation. Today, Newlab is home to over 200 companies, more than 900 entrepreneurs, and domain experts – all working together to apply transformative technologies to the world’s most pressing challenges. To date, Newlab has helped its member companies raise over $450M in capital, with over $400M of successful exits, and a collective valuation of over $2.8B.
The Brand Team is seeking an extraordinary individual to oversee and lead community engagement for Newlab’s Brooklyn HQ in the Navy Yard. In this new role, the Curator would be responsible for all member experiences, communications, and programming at our Brooklyn location focused on fostering community, learning, and inspiration with an eye on hospitality.
You are a:
- The heartbeat of this role is the ability to create a consistent set of experiences that move, connect, and inspire people. The art of curation is a core aptitude for success. Inherent in this role is a high level of autonomy and with that accountability to consistently execute as planned.
- Community Builder
- In this role, you have the opportunity to galvanize a diverse collective around your vision. ou are a magnetic personality that sparks conversation and your secret power is bringing people together.
- We believe that if you want to be creative, you have to be organized. This role requires a high level of organization, prioritization, and planning skills.
- You are a phenomenal communicator. We are looking for someone who is skilled at communication and nurturing feedback loops. Strong public speaking skills are essential.
- Community Experience
- Lead all aspects of creating a memorable member experience, beginning from a member’s initial onboarding, to day-to-day touch points and connections, to alumni engagement for members who have expanded beyond our Brooklyn space. Keeping attuned to the needs and desires of our members to tailor experiences that support them as their companies grow is key.
- Programming Design
- Reimagine, develop, and design community-building programs and events that drive member engagement both virtually and in-person for our Brooklyn-based members (including happy hours, town halls, workshops, etc).
- Event Execution
- Collaborate with Brand and Operations teams to produce high-quality, engaging community events with attention on even the smallest of details. Develop, implement, and enforce systems and best practices that drive the execution and promotion of events to be more efficient and effective across all teams while building brand awareness and equity.
- Member Communications
- Drive community engagement by developing impactful and meaningful avenues for communication with members in Brooklyn including reimagining how we leverage our newsletter, slack community, community app, and more.
- Ecosystem Building
- Collaborate with Curators across locations to foster member connections beyond just Brooklyn to strengthen Newlab’s greater collective ecosystem.
Passions and Zones of Genius:
- Seeking someone who has place-based community building, event planning, and/or previous curation background.
- We look for flexibility and a positive attitude in managing shifting daily priorities and high volume of guests.
- People Person
- The best part of serving others is creating experiences for them that go beyond the expected.
- Knows how to multitask while ensuring consistent and elevated guest experiences and accuracy.
- Technology and Tools
- Proficiency in Google Suite is must. Working knowledge of Tripleseat, Hubspot, Mailchimp, and OfficeRnD is a plus.
- A total badass
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Competitive salary
- Newlab equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Professional development stipend
- Unique opportunity to meet amazing entrepreneurs working on some of the world’s greatest challenges