Vice President, Partnerships
Location: Brooklyn, NY/Remote/Flexible
Newlab advances technologies that support the health of our planet.
We act as a facilitator, connector, and translator for our community of experts and innovators, helping to build, test, and scale world-changing ideas through investment, venture building, and structured collaboration with industry and government partners.
Recently named Fast Company’s Design Company of the Year, Newlab opened in the Brooklyn Navy Yard in 2016, transforming what was once a naval machine shop into an 84,000 square foot center for applied innovation. Today, Newlab is home to over 200 companies, more than 900 entrepreneurs, and domain experts – all working together to apply transformative technologies to the world’s most pressing challenges. To date, Newlab has helped its member companies raise over $450M in capital, with over $400M of successful exits, and a collective valuation of over $2.8B. This fall, Newlab will open its second flagship location as part of Ford’s $1B mobility innovation district in the Corktown neighborhood of Detroit.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Newlab is entering a period of accelerated growth and seeking a Vice President, Partnerships to help drive our global business development efforts. The Vice President, Partnerships will be an integral leader within the Business org, responsible for systematically scaling revenue growth across our four lines of business. The Vice President, Partnerships reports to the Chief Business Officer.
Passions and Zones of Genius
- You are Interested in accelerating new paradigms of partnership to drive corporate and cross-sector innovation.
- You are familiar with the corporate innovation, corporate venture, innovation advisory and consulting, landscapes.
- You are passionate about advanced technology and motivated by mobilizing people around complex challenges or significant opportunities.
- You have high EQ and strong intuition around partnership engineering. You think like a consultant, but have a propensity for action.
- You are comfortable operating in a high-velocity environment, avoid politics, and creatively leverage resources. You are also uncompromising in your commitment to excellence.
- You love winning.
Relevant Experience and Professional Network
- You have ~10-years of corporate partnership or business development experience.
- You have deep, executive-level relationships across the Global 2000 landscape and relationships you can carry with you to Newlab (strong network across mobility, energy, agriculture, food, materials preferred, but not required).
- You have a proven track record of developing revenue generating partnerships with corporate and government entities; past business development experience for innovation or professional services is a plus, but not required.
- You enjoy dealmaking and are comfortable structuring and negotiating multi-million dollar partnerships.
- You are adept at navigating corporate structures and politics and have a natural ability to build trust with key stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain strong, executive-level relationships across corporate and government.
- Actively contribute to setting and evolving the global business development strategy in line with both market dynamics and Newlab’s trajectory.
- Drive revenue across Newlab’s four lines of business to meet and exceed annual targets.
- Coordinate execution of the global business development strategy to drive growth across Newlab’s strategic geographies.
- Oversee internal research and market analysis to identify and qualify new competitive opportunities.
- Develop and institutionalize a comprehensive process to identify, prioritize, track, develop, and close partnerships.
- Own the full partnership development cycle from initial discovery and proposal development to program execution and renewal.
- Implement account management strategies to maintain client relationships and ensure opportunities to expand or leverage existing partnerships into new revenue opportunities are identified and nurtured.
- Oversee pipeline management and prepare revenue forecast reports.
- Structure creative partnerships to drive strategic brand visibility and new business opportunities.
Team Management and Internal Collaboration
- Help manage Newlab’s global network of Business Advisors and work with them to develop actionable new business opportunities.
- Oversee a team of Partnerships Directors, Managers and Coordinators and manage team performance against quarterly OKRs.
- Actively collaborate with Newlab team members across departments to ensure they are integrated into the business development strategy.
- Communicate demand side insights and collaborate with Newlab’s Products and Programs team to translate market signals into sellable programs or new revenue products.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Competitive salary
- Newlab equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Professional development stipend