Vice President, Products and Programs
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay
Newlab advances technologies that support the health of our planet.
We act as a facilitator, connector, and translator for our community of experts and innovators, helping to build, test, and scale world-changing ideas through investment, venture building, and structured collaboration with industry and government partners.
Recently named Fast Company’s Design Company of the Year, Newlab opened in the Brooklyn Navy Yard in 2016, transforming what was once a naval machine shop into an 84,000 square foot center for applied innovation. Today, Newlab is home to over 200 companies, more than 900 entrepreneurs, and domain experts – all working together to apply transformative technologies to the world’s most pressing challenges. To date, Newlab has helped its member companies raise over $450M in capital, with over $400M of successful exits, and a collective valuation of over $2.8B. This fall, Newlab will open its second flagship location as part of Ford’s $1B mobility innovation district in the Corktown neighborhood of Detroit.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Vice President of Products and Programs will report directly to the Chief Product Officer and oversee a portfolio of Innovation Studio offerings launched and operated from Newlab’s growing activity in Uruguay that we deliver to our important stakeholders in the LATAM region and across the globe. Whether they are our valuable network of member companies and entrepreneurs or our corporate partners and government agencies we aim to offer highly valuable, well designed and flawlessly executed programs. In addition, you and your organization hold detailed insight in specific industry sectors, corporate innovation and client services, public-private partnerships and experience operating innovation programs that are at the intersection of entrepreneurs and enterprise, investor, and public stakeholders.
Joining a leadership layer that works alongside the CPO and managing a talented and growing team, you will guide the strategy, development, and execution of these products & programs. From vision to program details, you and your organization are responsible for the overall package offering and working across the Newlab team to ensure each program is a complete success. Your insights and execution will deliver growth and impact of Innovation Studios and drive the overall value of Newlab’s products and business. You will interact with industry and government leadership to ensure value creation from Studio execution and the cultivation of new opportunities in collaboration with Newlab’s business development team.
- Vision & Strategy: Collaborate with the CPO and Products & Programs leadership to develop both short and long term strategic vision regarding the product and program offerings of Newlab. Designing these strategies will consider inputs from our network of entrepreneurs, government, corporate and academic stakeholders, trends in the market and Newlab’s overall vision and strategy as a business.
- Company Growth: The VP of Product and Programs and their team will work with the Business Development and Marketing teams to support program growth and create new revenue Studio products. This will include communicating insights generated from the Studios that translate to market signals and providing point of views on how the Studio model can be applied to challenges and areas of focus.
- Management & Execution: The VP alongside the CPO will build a team to manage the products & programs under their purview. This includes Program Managers, Program Directors and support functions, such as product design capabilities, to manage multi year programs and client engagements, as well as identifying and securing key external contributors. From industry experts and academics to entrepreneurs, the Products and Programs team brings all key stakeholders together to ensure our Studios are a complete success. The VP will often lead client management, from partnership development through the Studio execution.
- Ecosystem Development: The VP of Products and Programs and their relevant team members are engaged and actively developing ecosystems in sectors of strategic interest to Newlab, such as energy, mobility, or manufacturing. They will bring their own network to bear and deliver key insights to their team and the department, ensuring ideal positioning and strategies for the outcome-driven Studios. As a leader for Newlab Studios, ecosystem development will include being a natural Newlab spokesperson for the region which will involve opportunities for LATAM and international travel.
- 10+ years of operational experience as a corporate strategist or an innovation leader within a larger enterprise or advisory/professional services firm.
- Strong track record of working with corporate stakeholders and entrepreneurs to accelerate growth strategies through innovation. Working experience with public sector entities is a plus.
- Evidence and ability to build a culture of innovation that inspires and motivates large enterprises by being a persuasive collaborator that mobilizes teams, executives & organizations
- Experience deploying design methodologies or multi stakeholder programs to solve organizational wide challenges or execute towards strategic goals and intended future states fueled by innovation and advanced technologies
- Distinct working experience within industry sectors such as energy, mobility, or manufacturing or within advanced technology domains
- An established network and familiarity with LATAM
- Proven ability to build and manage teams that are lean, collaborative and effective
- Proven partnerships capabilities that have resulted in expanded and enduring business relationships built on results, impact and trust
- Demonstrated experience in an industrial, technical or sustainability-focused sector is a plus
Skills & Attributes
- Fluent in Spanish
- Collaborative nature across departments and with leadership to execute on product and program goals
- Strategic thinker who is excellent at synthesizing ideas into actionable plans
- High emotional intelligence & deep intellectual curiosity
- Dexterity and comfort working between large enterprise and growth stage startup environments
- Driven by creativity and a desire to make a positive and significant impact
- Stellar communicator with leadership presence and an ability to be an excellent external representative of Newlab
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Newlab equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Professional development stipend
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to: [email protected]