Macro Sea is pleased to present New Lab, a facility in the Brooklyn Navy Yard that fosters innovation in design, prototyping, and new manufacturing.
As developers of New Lab, Macro Sea is transforming 84,000 square feet of space into a high-tech design and prototyping center that will enhance the Yard’s initiative to become a national model for sustainable industrial parks. What was once a facility for building state-of-the-art ships will become a cutting edge center that incubates and encourages a renaissance of new manufacturing in the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Entrepreneurs, educators, and businesses in disciplines ranging from additive manufacturing, biotech, advanced robotics, architecture, and industrial design will work alongside one another in this unique space.
New Lab is situated in the heart of the Brooklyn Navy Yard, historically a center for the latest in manufacturing advances and now home to a community of emerging local businesses, artists' studios, and creative production facilities.
For more information on the Brooklyn Navy Yard visit http://www.brooklynnavyyard.org/
In some Macro Sea projects, the concept dictates the space, and in others, a unique space can call out the right concept.
When the Macro Sea team first visited Building 128 in 2011 and learned of the Brooklyn Navy Yard's ambitious program to develop the complex into a Green Manufacturing Center, the concept became immediately clear.
Through close collaboration between the Navy Yard, the Macro Sea team, and our various contributors and partners, the mission of New Lab has been defined:
- To inspire new paradigms in high-tech green manufacturing;
- To promote interaction between institutions, technical disciplines, designers and local communities;
- To provide open access to state-of-the-art facilities for innovators, inventors, and other creative individuals to create meaningful products and technology;
- To support the growth of new industries and foster job creation in the U.S.A.;
- To create a public space which broadcasts the accomplishments of the New Lab community to a local, national, and international audience.