Associate, Venture Studio
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Newlab is a community of experts and innovators applying transformative technology to solve the world’s biggest challenges. Newlab membership and studios bring together entrepreneurs, engineers, inventors, and industry leaders to create sustainable solutions and enterprises. Newlab employs technologies, including robotics, A.I., and material science, to transform what matters most—health, environment, media, cities, and infrastructure.
The Newlab Venture Studio builds new businesses with founders to solve the world’s most complex challenges with frontier technologies. Together, we investigate problems, prototype and iterate on ideas, and build conviction around a compelling value hypothesis to launch, fund and grow a new company. We support founders with our interdisciplinary team and global network to reduce risk and increase velocity toward product-market fit.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Newlab is seeking an Associate to help identify and research new business opportunities, attract founders and launch new companies. This position is ideal for someone who is curious, detail oriented, organized, passionate about new technologies and excited about shaping a new incubation platform.
You will work on new incubation ideas and ventures across a variety of industry verticals. Newlab has launched new ventures in medical devices and data science and is currently exploring opportunities in, for example, mobility, sensing and advanced materials.
Candidates should have prior startup operating, investing, or finance/consulting experience with a demonstrated passion for early-stage technologies. We are looking for candidates who have proven success establishing and tracking milestones, managing a myriad of stakeholders as well as completing and presenting technology/startup research along with a point-of-view.
- Program Management
You will manage processes in the Venture Studio related to identifying EIRs and iterating on concepts with them as well as operating EIR programs to launch and scale new ventures. Key activities include: establishing KPIs and reporting structures with external stakeholders, supporting the recruitment of entrepreneurs-in-residence through Newlab’s network and open call, developing and tracking program timelines and phases (from problem definition through product development and testing), and ensuring alignment across all collaborators and across Newlab’s team. The Associate will also play a role in client management, leading check-in meetings and preparing update presentations and reports.
- Research and Opportunity Analysis
Kickoff research to define opportunity spaces or to evaluate specific opportunities via benchmarking, market sizing, competitive analysis and financial modeling. Deliver strategic recommendations via memos and concise presentations.
- Ideation and Incubation
Contribute to ideation via: customer discovery, generative research and testing. Participate in ideation sessions engaging design research and technical leads.
- Founder Support
The Associate will support a cohort of founders, leveraging Newlab’s resources and network. They will also manage external contributors, which may include identifying and recruiting academics, workshop facilitators, and advisors.
- 3-5 years of total experience, which may include a mix of startup, finance/investing and/or consulting experience.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and communicate rationale for new ideas, products, investments or businesses to executive stakeholders.
- Experienced at managing stakeholders with diverse needs and understanding how to adapt message and style depending on the audience.
- Familiarity with project management tools such as Monday or Airtable and Google Workspace.
- Proficiency with communication and presentation tools and basic financial modeling.
- Bonus: experience or exposure to product, engineering, manufacturing, or technical field.
Skills & Attributes
- Ability to conduct detailed research and find information to generate actionable insights and clear recommendations for solving a particular problem
- Capable of operating multiple initiatives and executing actionable plans.
- Highly organized and focused on deliverables; able to manage deadlines and shifting priorities.
- Stellar written and oral communication with a background and familiarity working in frontier technology, innovation and entrepreneurship.
- High emotional intelligence & deep intellectual curiosity.
- Excited by setting ambitious goals, seeing projects through to completion and contributing to a fast-moving, lean organization.
- Ability to build consensus and relationships among founders, executives, partners, and employees.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Newlab equity
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Professional development stipend
Cover Letter & Application
- Please include a cover letter that identifies two areas, problems or sectors that excite you with your application.
This role is based at Newlab’s HQ in the Brooklyn Navy Yard with flexibility to allow for remote work.