Location: Brooklyn, NY
Newlab is a community of experts and innovators applying transformative technology to solve the world’s biggest challenges. Newlab membership and studios bring together entrepreneurs, engineers, inventors, and industry leaders to create sustainable solutions and enterprises. Newlab employs technologies, including robotics, A.I., and material science, to transform what matters most—health, environment, media, cities, and infrastructure. The Newlab syndicate invests in promising, high-potential startups applying advanced technologies to real problems. We are highly flexible – investing in pre-seed and late stage deals alike and co-invest along top VCs including XYZ. The syndicate network is comprised of a growing network of leading investors with corporate, investment, government and academic backgrounds.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Newlab is seeking a full-time venture Associate to support our community and investment goals. This position will report to the Chief Investment Officer and presents the opportunity to gain exposure to various aspects of venture capital including cultivating deals, diligence, research, and portfolio support.
This position is ideal for someone who is curious, detail oriented, organized, and passionate about new technologies and entrepreneurship. Candidates with deep expertise in at least one industry or technology relevant to Newlab will stand out.
- Perform market research and collaborate across Newlab departments to help identify new investment trends and opportunities
- Build and maintain relationships with startup founders and management teams
- Help source potential investments and educate startups about Newlab and our investment approach
- Screen deals and perform preliminary research and due diligence on select opportunities
- Maintain deal management database including adding meeting notes and updates
- Write first drafts of investment memos and investor communications
- Help monitor and support portfolio companies and the greater Newlab community members
- 2-5 years of professional experience in strategic consulting, tech, or startups and hands-on experience with investing or working in or with startups
- Strong knowledge of entrepreneurship and venture capital
- Familiarity with Google’s business tools (Drive, Docs, Slides, Sheets, etc.)
- Proficiency with Excel and project management and CRM tools such as Monday, Hubspot and Airtable
- Ability to produce well-designed professional looking presentations and memos, and experience with financial modeling
Skills & Attributes
- Ability to conduct detailed research and find information to generate actionable insights
- Outstanding critical thinking skills, detail-oriented, proactive and self-motivated
- Strong bias for action and desire to take ownership of work
- Adept at working both collaboratively and independently and managing cross-functional teams (across and up)
- Low ego and high integrity
- Stellar communication skills
- High emotional intelligence, empathy and deep intellectual curiosity
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Newlab equity
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Professional development stipend
This role is based at Newlab’s HQ in the Brooklyn Navy Yard with flexibility to allow for remote work.
Please include a cover letter that identifies two early stage, advanced technology companies you are excited about, why you like them and potential areas of improvement.