Business Operations Manager (Detroit)
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States
Newlab is a facilitator, connector, and translator for a community of startups, experts and innovators, helping to build, test, and scale world-changing ideas through investment, venture building, and structured collaboration with industry and government partners.
Recently named Fast Company’s Design Company of the Year, Newlab opened in the Brooklyn Navy Yard in 2016, transforming what was once a naval machine shop into an 84,000 square foot center for applied innovation. Today, Newlab is home to over 200 companies, more than 900 entrepreneurs, and domain experts – all working together to apply transformative technologies to the world’s most pressing challenges across mobility, energy and materials. To date, Newlab has helped its member companies raise over $1.5BM in capital, with over $1.5BM of successful exits, and a collective valuation of over $4.2B. As it continues to advance its mission, Newlab will be expanding its membership, and bringing into its ecosystem a broad base of experts, advisors and mentors to support the work of the members, and applied innovation
Our next major step is the opening of Newlab Detroit, a 250,000 square foot facility in partnership with Michigan Central Innovation District. To help activate the space Newlab is actively recruiting member companies to be resident, and partner companies who need our assistance an applying innovation to their toughest challenges.
Newlab is seeking a Business Operations Manager to support the Newlab Partnerships and Membership teams in our next phase of scaling. The role will be responsible for coordination and execution of strategic partnership agreements, administration of the membership business, and alignment between business development efforts and Newlab global finance team. The ideal candidate should be flexible to solve unique, evolving challenges but also willing to build and optimize processes to help Newlab scale.
- Managing deals
- Quarterback deal processes originating at Newlab Detroit across membership and partnerships, coordinating across internal functions (e.g. Operations, Finance) as necessary
- Manage all administrative aspects of deal processes from proposal through to contract execution
- Execute ongoing management of contracts (e.g. amendments)
- Support with the development of membership and partnership materials as needed
- Support with pipeline management and reporting with a consistent focus on optimizing processes
- Consistently monitor membership and partnerships pipeline to support internal as well as client-facing reporting
- Close collaboration with Finance to organize data, develop revenue forecasts and report progress against targets
- Create and analyze key insights from forecasts, key business drivers, trends, and operating metrics. Translate data into actionable feedback for the team.
- Using data & technology to make better, faster and more informed decisions with familiarity automating reports, building dashboards and leveraging analytic capabilities in hubspot and adjacent systems to increase efficiencies
Who You Are
- Organized systems thinker and collaborative teammate who loves both the people-facing and technology-facing aspects of revenue operations
- Energized by a fast-paced startup environment where there’s always more to learn, do, and take on, and excited to have a direct impact on revenue
- Strong data and analysis skills
- Naturally inclined to improve efficiency through creative solutions and processes
- BA/BS degree in Finance, Business, or equivalent working experience
- 4+ years of experience in Business operations or Customer Success Operations role strongly preferred
- Experience managing and developing partnership contracts
- Proficiency with CRM Management (Hubspot, Salesforce, or similar)
- Proficiency with Google Suite
- Proficiency with basic Financial Modeling (Excel, Sheets, or similar)
Compensation and benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Equity in Newlab
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Professional development stipend
We at Newlab are committed to providing equal opportunity and embracing diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer that strives to go beyond the bare minimum of buzz words to actually make decisions based on individual qualifications, job requirements and business needs, while championing diversity and inclusivity. This begins with hiring. We’re committed to expanding our reach to as diverse a candidate pool as possible. Part of holding ourselves accountable is collecting information to measure those efforts. We ask that you please support us in this regard by completing our EEOC survey. There is no obligation to complete this survey, but doing so would help us uphold our values, and would be greatly appreciated. All of the responses are anonymized; the only information we receive is a summary of candidate responses.