Director, Applied Innovation
Location: Montevideo, Montevideo, Uruguay
Newlab advances technologies that support the health of our planet.
We act as a facilitator, connector, and translator for our community of experts and innovators, helping to build, test, and scale world-changing ideas through investment, venture building, and structured collaboration with industry and government partners.
Recently named Fast Company’s Design Company of the Year, Newlab opened in the Brooklyn Navy Yard in 2016, transforming what was once a naval machine shop into an 84,000 square foot center for applied innovation. Today, Newlab is home to over 200 companies, more than 900 entrepreneurs, and domain experts – all working together to apply transformative technologies to the world’s most pressing challenges. To date, Newlab has helped its member companies raise over $450M in capital, with over $400M of successful exits, and a collective valuation of over $2.8B. This fall, Newlab will open its second flagship location as part of Ford’s $1B mobility innovation district in the Corktown neighborhood of Detroit.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Director of the innovation studio team oversees a portfolio of studios. They’re responsible for the successful application of the innovation studio methodology to a client’s area of need. This includes managing timeline and deliverables, working with multiple internal and external teams to execute each phase successfully, and clearly communicating progress along the way through written reports and owning the organized information for the studio in the software being used at the time.
Who you are
You are an ambitious and positive team player who brings their full focus and enthusiasm to work. You’re curious and thoughtful and tend to bring out the best in your team mates. You’re comfortable with accountability and maintain consistent transparency with your boss and clients. You embrace ambiguity and are excited about paving the path towards a desirable future. You’re interested. Not just concerned with what you’re working on but in the world and how you can positively impact it.
Sound exciting? Want to come help us make real change? Apply today!
- Operations: Work collaboratively across functions to create a strong partnership with sales, membership, marketing, operations and finance to deliver multi-year Studios. Support the delivery of research, product design insights, startup recruitment and evaluation, pilot design and workshops. Taking inputs from program partners and relevant Newlab departments, Directors lead the operations for Studios including developing program materials, managing day-to-day engagement with startups, advisors and Studio partners from industry and government. Additionally they work closely with the Partnerships team to cultivate interest and additional sponsorship and grant opportunities to grow programs.
- Reporting: Directors are responsible for working with VPs to develop timelines, key milestones, project management systems and client reporting structures (meeting agendas, reports, decks) for each program they are involved with. They take the lead on day-to-day client and participant management in order to effectively reach milestones, anticipate challenges, manage strategy based on learnings, ensure alignment and engage leadership as needed.
- Ecosystem Engagement: Directors stay up to date on industry trends relevant to their program areas and engage with relevant ecosystems in NYC and globally which are points of interest and opportunity for Newlab’s Innovation Studios. Reaching out to entrepreneurs and subject matter experts to proactively gage opportunities to collaborate and to vet startups for participation in Studios is a key focus. Additionally, sharing learnings with the Product and Programs team is encouraged as it ensures the team is leveraging insights to develop and evolve high caliber programs to deliver to our clients.
- 4+ years of operational experience in innovation, government or mobility related programs
- Strong track record of working with government, corporate and/or entrepreneurs in multi-stakeholder programs
- Proven track record of appropriately managing stakeholders with diverse needs and understanding how to adapt message and style depending on audience
- Some experience or exposure to original equipment manufacturing, engineering, manufacturing, or technical field, preferably in mobility space
- Past use with Google’s suite of business tools (docs, team drives, slides, sheets etc)
- Previous project management experience of delivering at least one full project from start to finish using project management software
- Some background and familiarity working in frontier technology, innovation and entrepreneurship
Skills & Attributes
- Project Management – ability to manage multiple deadlines and priorities across a single project
- Stakeholder Management – comfortable engaging with and managing multiple internal and external stakeholders, including the client (e.g. a corporate innovation team) and startups (e.g. CEOs)
- Communication – A clear and succinct style with low errors, a speaking style that is to the point and mindful of audience
- Advanced user of Airtable or similar database and project management tool
- Advanced Google Suite user demonstrating proficiency in template use, gmail organization and gcal communication tools.
- Strong ability to pick up new software and apply appropriately to work.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Equity in Newlab
- Generous paid time off
- Professional development stipend
We at Newlab are committed to providing equal opportunity and embracing diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer that strives to go beyond the bare minimum of buzz words to actually make decisions based on individual qualifications, job requirements and business needs, while championing diversity and inclusivity. This begins with hiring. We’re committed to expanding our reach to as diverse a candidate pool as possible. Part of holding ourselves accountable is collecting information to measure those efforts. We ask that you please support us in this regard by completing our EEOC survey. There is no obligation to complete this survey, but doing so would help us uphold our values, and would be greatly appreciated. All of the responses are anonymized; the only information we receive is a summary of candidate responses.