Director of People & Culture
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Newlab is a community of experts and innovators applying transformative technology to solve the world’s biggest challenges. Newlab membership and studios bring together entrepreneurs, engineers, inventors, and industry leaders to create sustainable solutions and enterprises. Newlab employs technologies, including robotics, A.I., and material science, to transform what matters most—health, environment, media, cities, and infrastructure.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Newlab is seeking a People Operations Director as the first dedicated HR position at Newlab. This person will build off of the foundation established by Newlab’s leadership team to date to ensure that Newlab continues to be one of the most sought after places to work. This person will be responsible for delivering a positive employee experience across the entire employee lifecycle, including recruitment, onboarding, professional development, performance management, and retention. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this position plays a pivotal role in defining culture and driving employee engagement, in a highly-collaborative, creative, and fast-paced working environment.
- Department Leadership: Lead the creation and implementation of initiatives regarding performance management, talent acquisition, learning and development, and other training tools and resources (i.e., leadership training, mitigating bias, career pathing, etc.).
- Culture & Engagement: Work with the executive team to create programming aimed at building an employee-centered culture. This includes leading the support around personal development, accessing information on benefits, approving staff requests for professional development funds, the administration and analysis of the bi-annual employee survey, introducing and improving new employee policies, and planning and executing internal events such as lunches, team outings, and offsites.
- Conflict Resolution: Field and resolve general performance management issues and employee relations matters such as replacements/terminations, performance issues, and incident-based behavioral concerns. In partnership with the COO, provide counsel to managers and employees on employee relations matters, evaluate underlying issues, brainstorm solutions, document process, follow-up as needed, and advise management as necessary.
- Support Hiring: Work with managers across departments to assist with hiring. This includes recruitment, posting job descriptions across multiple channels, reviewing applications, answering questions from prospective employees, conducting phone screenings, and managing on-site interviews and follow-up.
- Employee Onboarding: Design, execute and manage all aspects of the new employee onboarding program. This includes the development and maintenance of onboarding material such as welcome emails, decks, and surveys, coordinating with IT, Operations, Facilities and hiring managers to deliver a seamless day one experience for all new hires, teaching orientation sessions, administering, analyzing and summarizing onboarding surveys.
- Policies and Procedures: Lead the creation, updating and implementation of key employee policies. This includes working with Newlab’s executive team and legal resource(s) to ensure proper implementation and compliance.
- Regulation Compliance: Ensure that Newlab is in compliance with all relevant federal, state, and city employment requirements and regulations.
- Support Membership Community: Serve as a resource to our member companies, hosting office hours and providing guidance on policies related to people and culture.
- Drive Administrative Processes: Manage Newlab’s PEO platform and ensure all information is up to date. This includes leading communication with the PEO-provider regarding compensation, benefits, and policies, as applicable.
- Process Improvement: Support initiatives aimed at improving processes and addresses pain points through content updates, automation, streamlining, and shared services.
- Team Player: Complete other ad hoc tasks as required by Newlab’s executive team.
- 7+ years experience in Human Resources; experience working in a startup is a plus;
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, Psychology or other related fields;
- Experience managing an HR team;
- Experience implementing DEI policies and procedures is a plus;
- Enthused by the prospect of helping build a people-centered organization; takes a proactive approach to learning and developing the skills needed to evolve with the role;
- Strong interest in entrepreneurship, innovation, frontier technology;
- Initiator; feels at ease working in a fast-paced and evolving work environment where demands and priorities can shift quickly;
- Action-oriented and are happy to pitch in to help our nimble team achieve collective strategic goals;
- Comfortable supporting teams in multiple locations;
- You have exceptional interpersonal, written and oral communication, and a customer service mindset; and
- You are goal-oriented, ambitious, self-motivated and detail-oriented
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Equity in Newlab
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Professional development stipend