Investment Operations Lead
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States
Newlab advances technologies that support the health of our planet.
We act as a facilitator, connector, and translator for our community of experts and innovators, helping to build, test, and scale world-changing ideas through investment, venture building, and structured collaboration with industry and government partners.
Recently named Fast Company’s Design Company of the Year, Newlab opened in the Brooklyn Navy Yard in 2016, transforming what was once a naval machine shop into an 84,000 square foot center for applied innovation. Today, Newlab is home to over 200 companies, more than 900 entrepreneurs, and domain experts – all working together to apply transformative technologies to the world’s most pressing challenges. To date, Newlab has helped its member companies raise over $450M in capital, with over $400M of successful exits, and a collective valuation of over $2.8B. This fall, Newlab will open its second flagship location as part of Ford’s $1B mobility innovation district in the Corktown neighborhood of Detroit.
Newlab is seeking an Investment Operations Lead to help grow its investment activities to invest in pioneering companies to accelerate the transition of the global economy to decarbonize the planet. We source innovative, new technologies that address the key issues in sustainability and technology, with a focus on mobility, energy, and materials.
The team is small and growing, and we’re looking for a top-tier operations lead to design, manage, and scale our operating and partnership framework. From day one, the operations lead will have an immediate impact on our productivity, streamlining strategic initiatives, and communicating objectives between strategic partners and our internal team. The ideal candidate will have proven experience in a business management role, with a special focus on executive-level advising and interdepartmental collaboration. As the team grows, the Operations Lead should be prepared to potentially hire and manage 1-2 FTEs that will support administrative and operational tasks.
Objectives of this Role
- Strategize and coordinate strategic processes and partnership engagement that supports effective investment activity in partnership with senior leadership
- Build the back-end operations required to build, raise and deploy a top-tier venture capital fund, including selection of and oversight of third party vendors
- Assist senior leaders in decision-making, processes management, and initiative implementation
- Design, and execute improvements to processes, strategic partnership, and org structure
- Improve current processes and coordinate organizational procedures for optimized efficiency and productivity
- Support senior leadership in managing and driving against investment objectives, key results and deliverables, including defining and tracking performance against key impact and financial goals
- Act as a key point of contact for Newlab – co-manage the connections and collaboration between our Newlab partners and the fund team, develop shared branding and marketing strategies and collateral, work with Newlab network team on CRM development and management and coordinate other shared services
- Manage hiring and talent management activities (e.g., establishing hiring process, sourcing and screening candidates, creating and updating onboarding processes and materials)
- Oversee build-out of financial functions including payroll, AR, AP, and auditing / compliance requirements
- Establish and help maintain team values and an inclusive team culture
- Manage firm-wide cadence of meetings and external events
- Evaluate options for and supervise the management of the day to day logistics for the leadership team, including scheduling, tracking communications, and planning travel.
- Develop or manage systems for document management, both within the organization and between key stakeholders. As team grows, Operations Lead can hire direct reports to assist with these tasks).
- Assist with the preparation and dissemination of communications, meeting briefs and agendas
- Work with other members of the fund and Newlab on fundraising strategy and execution
- Develop branding and thought leadership materials
Skills and Qualifications
- The ability to interact and collaborate with a wide variety of stakeholders, and to demonstrate exceptional judgment and discretion
- Undergraduate degree from a qualified, four-year university
- 3+ years in a business, consulting, or executive management role
- Excellent communicator in written and verbal form
- Experience planning and leading strategic initiatives
- Proven success in a project coordination role
- Proven track record of patience, respect, and a sense of humor in dealing with all members of a team
- Nimble business mind with a focus on developing creative solutions
- Strong project reporting skills, with a focus on interdepartmental communication
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or similar field
- Consulting experience with a focus on operations management
- Interest in investing in and supporting inspiring founders in climate tech
- Experience with budget management
- Experience in complex, dynamic organizations
**Disclaimer – this is a courtesy post for a partner of Newlab**
There is an option for Remote work
We at Newlab are committed to providing equal opportunity and embracing diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer that strives to go beyond the bare minimum of buzz words to actually make decisions based on individual qualifications, job requirements and business needs, while championing diversity and inclusivity. This begins with hiring. We’re committed to expanding our reach to as diverse a candidate pool as possible. Part of holding ourselves accountable is collecting information to measure those efforts. We ask that you please support us in this regard by completing our EEOC survey. There is no obligation to complete this survey, but doing so would help us uphold our values, and would be greatly appreciated. All of the responses are anonymized; the only information we receive is a summary of candidate responses.