Location: Brooklyn, NY
Newlab is a community of experts and innovators applying transformative technology to solve the world’s biggest challenges. Newlab membership and studios bring together entrepreneurs, engineers, inventors, and industry leaders to create sustainable solutions and enterprises. Newlab employs technologies, including robotics, A.I., and material science, to transform what matters most—health, environment, media, cities, and infrastructure.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Newlab is seeking a Program Manager to join the Products and Programs team to support the delivery of Newlab’s Innovation Studios. This role will report to a Program Director and operate specific innovation programs and offerings we deliver to stakeholders including: startups and entrepreneurs, corporate partners, government agencies and academic institutions. The Program Manager will support the operations of multi-year Studios, and project manage research sprints, startup recruitment, workshops and partnership development efforts tied to these initiatives.
Candidates should have prior experience working in public-private partnerships or operating innovation programs that are at the intersection of entrepreneurs and enterprise, investor, and public stakeholders. Additionally, prior exposure to emerging technology, preferably in an engineering or manufacturing space, or demonstrated aptitude in these sectors through academic work or adjacent professional experience is critical.
- Operations: Program Managers work collaboratively across functions to create a strong partnership with sales, membership, marketing, operations and finance to deliver multi-year Studios, support the delivery of research, product design insights, startup recruitment and evaluation, pilot design and workshops. Taking inputs from program partners and relevant Newlab departments, Program Managers lead the operations for Studios including developing program materials, managing day-to-day engagement with startups, advisors and Studio partners from industry and government. Additionally they work closely with the Partnerships team to cultivate interest and additional sponsorship and grant opportunities to grow programs.
- Reporting: Program Managers are responsible for working with Program Directors to develop timelines, key milestones, project management systems and client reporting structures (meeting agendas, reports, decks) for each program they are involved with. They take the lead on day-to-day client and participant management in order to effectively reach milestones, anticipate challenges, manage strategy based on learnings, ensure alignment and engage leadership as needed.
- Ecosystem Engagement: Program Managers stay up to date on industry trends relevant to their program areas and engage with relevant ecosystems in NYC and globally which are points of interest and opportunity for Newlab’s Innovation Studios. Reaching out to entrepreneurs and subject matter experts to proactively gage opportunities to collaborate and to vet startups for participation in Studios is a key focus. Additionally, sharing learnings with the Product and Programs team is encouraged as it ensures the team is leveraging insights to develop and evolve high caliber programs to deliver to our clients.
- 5 years of operational experience in innovation or government programs or equivalent with direct project management responsibilities
- Strong track record of working with government, corporate and/or entrepreneurs in multi-stakeholder programs
- Experience managing stakeholders with diverse needs and understanding how to adapt message and style depending on audience
- Experience or exposure to an engineering, manufacturing, or technical field
- Familiarity with Google’s business tools (docs, team drives, slides, sheets etc) and project management and CRM tools such as Monday, Hubspot and Airtable
Skills & Attributes
- Capable of operating multiple initiatives and executing actionable plans
- Highly organized and focused on deliverables; able to manage deadlines and shifting priorities
- Stellar written and oral communicator with a background and familiarity working in frontier technology, innovation and entrepreneurship
- High emotional intelligence & deep intellectual curiosity
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, managing deadlines and shifting priorities
- Excited by setting ambitious goals, seeing projects through to completion and contributing to a lean organization
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Equity in Newlab
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Professional development stipend