Location: Detroit, Michigan
Newlab is a community of experts and innovators applying transformative technology to solve the world’s biggest challenges. Newlab membership and studios bring together entrepreneurs, engineers, inventors, and industry leaders to create sustainable solutions and enterprises. Newlab employs technologies, including robotics, A.I., and material science, to transform what matters most—health, environment, media, cities, and infrastructure.
In 2020 Newlab established a presence in Michigan with the launch of two Innovation Studios in partnership with Ford and Michigan Central focused on building the future of mobility in a way that benefits everyone. As Newlab further expands into the market we are seeking a Michigan based Program Director to manage the Michigan portfolio of Studio programs, partnerships and initiatives.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Newlab is seeking a Program Manager to join its Michigan based Product and Programs team to support the delivery of Newlab’s growing presence in Michigan and the Innovation Studios operating there. This role will report to a Michigan based Program Director and operate specific innovation programs and offerings we deliver to stakeholders including: startups and entrepreneurs, civic leaders, corporate partners, government agencies and academic institutions. The Program Manager will support the operations of multi-year Studios, and project manage research sprints, startup recruitment, workshops and partnership development efforts tied to these initiatives.
Candidates should have prior experience working in public-private partnerships or operating innovation programs that are at the intersection of entrepreneurs and enterprise, investor, and public stakeholders. A genuine interest in serving these different stakeholder groups, and learning what each needs to thrive and how best to bring them together around shared opportunities and challenges is expected.
Additionally, prior exposure to emerging technology, civic engagement, and pilot projects run in conjunction with public stakeholders, or demonstrated aptitude in these areas through academic work or adjacent professional experience is critical.
- Operations: The Program Manager will work collaboratively across functions with colleagues in Michigan as well as from Newlab’s New York based team in sales, membership, marketing, operations and finance to deliver multi-year studios, support the delivery of research, product design insights, startup recruitment and evaluation, pilot design and workshops. Taking inputs from program partners and relevant Newlab departments, Program Managers lead the operations for Studios including developing program materials, managing day-to-day engagement with startups, advisors and Studio partners from industry and government. Additionally they work closely with the Partnerships team to cultivate interest and additional sponsorship and grant opportunities to grow programs.
- Reporting: Program Managers are responsible for working with Program Directors to develop timelines, key milestones, project management systems and client reporting structures (meeting agendas, reports, decks) for each program they are involved with. They take the lead on day-to-day client and participant management in order to effectively reach milestones, anticipate challenges, manage strategy based on learnings, ensure alignment and engage leadership as needed.
- Ecosystem and Community Engagement: The Program Manager will stay up to date on industry trends relevant to their program areas and engage with relevant ecosystems in Michigan and globally which are points of interest and opportunity for Newlab’s Innovation Studios. Reaching out to entrepreneurs and subject matter experts to proactively gage opportunities to collaborate and to vet startups for participation in Studios is a key focus. Additionally, sharing learnings with the Product and Programs team is encouraged as it ensures the team is leveraging insights to develop and evolve high caliber programs to deliver to our clients.
- 5 years of operational experience in innovation or government programs or equivalent with direct project management responsibilities
- Strong track record of working with government, community, corporate and/or entrepreneurs in multi-stakeholder programs
- Experience managing stakeholders with diverse needs and understanding how to adapt message and style depending on audience
- Experience or exposure to an engineering, manufacturing, or technical field
- Adept at developing and tracking both quantitative and qualitative program metrics and delivering client-facing reports
- Experience pursuing program funding, either corporate sponsorship or government RFPs is a plus
- Familiarity with Google’s business tools (docs, team drives, slides, sheets etc) and project management and CRM tools such as Airtable, Hubspot and Monday
Skills & Attributes
- Capable of operating multiple initiatives and executing actionable plans
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and focused on deliverables; able to manage deadlines and shifting priorities
- Strong writing, communication and presentation skills
- Collaborative and comfortable working with cross-functional teams
- Strong writing, communication and presentation skills with a background and familiarity working in frontier technology, innovation and entrepreneurship
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, able to flourish with minimal guidance, be proactive, and handle uncertainty and ambiguity
- Excited by setting ambitious goals, seeing projects through to completion and contributing to a collaborative, lean organization
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Equity in Newlab
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Professional development stipend